Creamy Cheese Fondue with Ham & Potato Skewers
In the spirit of the Swiss, get your family in on the fondue dipping fun.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
6 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
6 tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
4 cups of Whole Milk, warmed
Salt, to taste
pinch of Cayenne
1/4 pounds of shredded Gruyère Cheese (or another favorite cheese)
4 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into roughly 1-in. cubes
1 package of Farmland® Cubed Ham
24 8-in. Wooden Skewers (unless you have a fondue set with forks)
1. In pot of salted boiling water, cook potatoes until just tender; strain and set aside.
2. For the Fondue, in medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until roux is pale yellow color, about 1 minute.
3. Slowly whisk in milk; whisk continuously until liquid comes to boil and thickens. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook a couple minutes more. Add salt and cayenne and taste for seasoning.
4. Stir in cheese and whisk until melted; then set sauce aside while you make the skewers.
5. Put 2 pieces of ham and 2 pieces of potato on each skewer, alternating between the two. You will have four skewers per person. (If you have a fondue set with forks, you can skip this step and just put the ham and potatoes out for your guests to skewer themselves.)
6. To serve, make sure cheese sauce is still warm. (If necessary, gently warm it on stovetop, whisking continuously. If you have a fondue pot, put cheese sauce in it. If not, put cheese sauce in another vessel, preferably one that will hold heat for your meal.)
7. Dip skewers in cheese sauce and enjoy.