Pork Gravy Disco Fries
Packed with sausage and covered in gravy, serve this diner classic from the comfort of your own kitchen.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
1 cup of diced Onion
1 cup of diced Green Bell Pepper
1 tablespoon of minced Garlic
3 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
3 tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
2 cups of Whole Milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 bag of Frozen Shoestring French Fries
Cooking Oil, as needed
1 12 oz. package of Farmland® Original Pork Sausage
1 pinch of Ground Nutmeg
1 pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Fine Sea Salt, to taste
1 cup of Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 bunch of Scallions, chopped
1. Sauté onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender and set aside.
2. In heavy-bottomed sauce pot, heat butter until melted and then whisk in flour. Continue whisking until mixture has completely homogenized; then stir in milk. Continue whisking to incorporate completely and remove any lumps.
3. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring continuously, until milk has thickened. Add salt and pepper.
4. Fold in sautéed vegetables and set aside.
5. Cook french fries according to package directions.
6. While french fries are cooking, heat heavy-bottomed skillet or sauté pan and add about 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. Crumble sausage into pan and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
7. Add sausage into gravy, along with nutmeg and cayenne; season with salt.
8. When french fries come out of oven, make sure they are crispy; then toss lightly with fine sea salt.
9. Portion french fries out onto individual plates, or position on a platter, family-style. Top with gravy and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Finish with chopped scallions.