Bacon-Waffle Bake with Fresh Berries and Maple Drizzle
Prep Time: 5 mins.
8-10 slices of Farmland® Thick-Cut Bacon, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces
8-10 Waffles, freshly made or frozen packaged, quartered (about 12 cups)
2 tablespoons of Butter, divided
6 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 cups of Buttermilk
1 cup of Whipping Cream
2/3 cup of Maple Syrup, divided
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
1 1/2 cups of Fresh Mixed Berries, such as blueberries, strawberries and blackberries
Powdered Sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 3-quart oven-safe casserole (8 x 10-inch or similar) with ½ tablespoon butter. In large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, cream, ? cup syrup, vanilla and salt; reserve.
2. On ungreased rimmed baking pan, spread waffle pieces in even layer and bake for 12–15 minutes or until crisp and lightly toasted. Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
3. Add waffle pieces and bacon to buttermilk mixture and toss to coat evenly. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Pour into prepared casserole and tightly cover with foil.
5. Bake for 50-60 minutes and remove foil. Melt remaining butter and brush over top of casserole and bake, uncovered, for another 10–15 minutes or until top is crisp and toasted.
6. Top with fresh berries and remaining maple syrup, dusting with powdered sugar if desired, and serve warm.